Chocolate Sensory Workshop
· Established April 2017 ·
Monday, March 5th, 2018
Italian Cultural Centre
3075 Slocan St
Sunday, March 25th, 2018
L'Atelier Vancouver Coworking
319 W Hastings St #400
Master Flavour & Quality
Cost: $60 pp Duration: 2.5 hrs Seats: 8
Hosted by Geoseph Domenichiello
Since 2017, this exciting and unique chocolate sensory workshop offers professional level training for you, the consumer! Master flavour with a professional guided chocolate tasting, and learn everything you need to know to become your own connoisseur! This tasting workshop goes above and beyond, delving deep into the facts and current research. Leave not only satisfied, but an enlightened and confident chocolate consumer.
With the growth of bean to bar chocolate throughout the world, it raises many questions, introduces terms you may not fully understand, and perhaps leave you overwhelmed with what quality means anymore. You'll receive the facts necessary in order to make wise choices and the most satisfying decisions. Best of all, you get to taste the history and process while you learn, and follow it up with a chocolate tasting challenge!
- The Chocolate Making Process (includes samples of cocoa beans of different varieties and origins, and chocolate at varying levels of processing)
- The History & Evolution of Chocolate (includes samples of authentic 15th & 17th Century chocolate drinks, as well as a very unique cacao product!)
- Neurogastronomy (Learn the science to help develop your sense of flavour)
- Professional Tasting Tools (Tools that will last you a lifetime, to help you become a chocolate connoisseur)
- A Chocolate Tasting Challenge
- Literature covering the topics above
- A Chocolate Flavour Wheel
- A Tasting Passport (To record and keep track of future chocolate experiences)
- A stomach full of 15 chocolate and cacao related products
The cacao products will come from around the world, and the chocolate will focus on incredible local BC chocolate makers and some international makers as well. The Chocolate Challenge will include a flight of dark chocolate samples that we will analyze, dissect, but most of all enjoy!
This is a comfortable and relaxed workshop, where your input and inquiring minds are encouraged! Remember, this is NOT for snobs, but for those who want to understand. No judgements here. Only good conversation and incredible chocolate. Come with questions, and an appetite. Salute!
I'm guessing chocolate?
Fine dark chocolate & cacao related products
- Cacao Beans of 2 different varieties and origins to understand the importance of cacao flavour
- Chocolate samples from 3 stages of the chocolate process to aid in the understanding of how the process greatly affects flavour
- Cacao juice! 100% cold pressed juice from the fruit of cacao.
- An example of Pre-Conquest Mesoamerican Drinking Chocolate
- An example of 17th Century Aristocratic European Drinking Chocolate
- A flight of 5 delectable artisan dark chocolate! These will be studied, discussed, and sampled not just for sampling sake, but to apply your tasting tools and discover a world of flavour you've been missing!
All products are vegan, gluten free, and will not contain nuts.*
*As I don't manufacture the chocolate myself, I can't guarantee they may not contain traces of dairy or nuts (as listed by the manufacturer). For more information on dietary concerns, please inquire when you book.
All you need to bring is yourself!
Since we will be predominately using our nose and tongue, please keep the following in mind.
Try and refrain from:
- Strong odours (scents & perfumes, smoking, and poor hygiene)
- Strong flavoured foods (garlic, coffee, smoking etc.)
- A heavy meal 2 hours beforehand. Come hungry!